Popular Post

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The most disturbing blog I think I have written.

My shark swimming friend emailed me a list of the six most terrifying foods in the world. They include such tasty delights as as baby mice wine.


If you fancy a glass of it, you'll find it in Korea.

Also on the list was cazu marzu .

It doesn't look too scary from the picture however, I quote:


'This, dear reader, is a medium-sized lump of Sweet Christ. Casu Marzu is a sheep'
milk cheese that has been deliberately infested by a Piophila casei, the "cheese fly."
The result is a maggot-ridden, weeping stink bomb in an advanced state of
decomposition.'

But wait! There's more! It also comes with translucent larvae that can jump six inches in the air when you eat it. Little wonder it also goes by the name of 'maggot cheese' and has been outlawed in Sardinia.

The scariest morsel on the list for me was the number one.

I am sorry I am doing this to you, but I would like to introduce you to balut.

It's from the Philippines and I quote:

'Balut are duck eggs that have been incubated until the fetus is all feathery and beaky, and then boiled alive. The bones give the eggs a uniquely crunchy texture. They are enjoyed in Cambodia, Philippines and the fifth and seventh levels of hell. They are typically sold by street vendors at night, out of buckets of warm sand. You can spot the vendors because of their glowing red eyes, and the faint, otherworldly sound of children screaming.'

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I will go and vomit in the rubbish bin.