Popular Post

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nom de plume

I find people such fascinating things. I can sit and watch them for hours, I think that's why I like airports so much - especially international ones. You get to see so many different breeds of people. I like to invent their life story with the visual clues you get to work with. (And in my case, I reckon I would most probably have a ten percent hit rate, accuracy wise. But, hey, it's not a competition.)

However I reckon it's interesting the way you build pictures of what someone might look like if you only know them from their voice, or their writing voice and nom de plume. For a few years I have been working with a team in Sydney and, when I first walked into their office (after a few months of communication) one woman exclaimed, 'But you're small! I thought you were going to be a big woman!' I must sound and write tall.

My brother Sunshine first started me with a blog. Originally he set me up with an actual website, wrote all the copy for it, as he had grand plans that it would be a fantastic platform to sell my book. However, as it's still making a name for itself getting rejected by publishers around the world, there seemed no reason to carry on with that site so I came over to Blogspot. (But as Toby Young*, whose book 'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People' got rejected twenty-two times before being published said to me, 'Just remember they're all wrong, and you're right,' don't think I shall be giving up anytime soon.)

*is aware of shameless name dropping.

So when it came to setting up a blog, the first thing we had to do was pick a name. We wondered about a few and Sunshine suggested Laughy Kate. When Master Sunshine and Little Miss Sunshine were very little they asked the question, 'Why is Kate so laughy?' (Oh, because she's always drunk. Apart from that, no reason.) About a week later they were discussing a Kate, 'Which Kate, is that?' asked one of the parent-Sunshines. 'Laughy Kate', was the answer from the small-Sunshines. And it's sort of stuck ever since.

Anyway, this post is a very scenic route to the point, it's time for you guys to put out. I want to know why you picked the nom de plumes you have.

As my first sentence would indicate, basically I'm nosy.